- 1 medium eggplant
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Halved grape tomatoes
- Coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Fresh lemon juice
- Preheat a grill pan.
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise, then slice horizontally creating pieced ½ inch thick.
- Brush the eggplant slices on both sides with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the eggplant over medium heat for about 6 minutes, turning once, until lightly charred and tender.
- Transfer the eggplant to a bowl. Add tomatoes, parsley and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper and toss.
Food Facts – Eggplant
Did you know that eggplants are technically fruits? This versatile ingredient can be grilled, baked, and mashed into many tasty dishes.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3/4 cup seeded chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise; remove flesh, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell. Cube flesh; set shells and flesh aside.
- In a large prepared nonstick skillet, saute onions and garlic until onions are tender. Add the mushrooms, zucchini, red pepper and eggplant flesh; saute for 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, wheat germ, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and pepper flakes; cook for 1 minute.
- Divide mixture evenly between the eggplant shells; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until shells are tender.
- 1-2 eggplants
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp sesame paste
- 1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Poke the eggplants in several places with the tines of a fork. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and brush the cut sides lightly with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Place on a baking sheet, cut side down, and roast until very tender, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Scoop the eggplant flesh into a large bowl and mash with a fork. Combine the eggplant, minced garlic, remaining olive oil, tahini, cumin, 2 tbsp of the lemon juice, salt, and a pinch of cayenne. Mash until smooth.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then season to taste with additional lemon juice, salt, and cayenne. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
- Serve with pita and veggies.