4th of July Star Pies
What better way to celebrate America than with pie? Star-spangled mini berry pies will add some sparkle to your 4th of July festivities.
Products Featured in this Recipe:
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup cold sour cream
- 1 beaten egg
- Whisk together dry ingredients and slowly add in the butter until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Add in sour cream and stir the mixture together until it becomes chunks.
- Place dough on a surface with flour and knead it. Place to the side and chill for at least 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Roll the dough into a 14” by 14” square and use a star cookie cutter to cut out an even number of stars.
- On half of the stars, place about a tbsp of filling on each. Brush some beaten egg along the edges of each filled star.
- Cut slices in the center of the remaining stars. Top each filled star with a sliced one and press along the edges with the tines of a fork. Brush the top of each pie with beaten egg.
- Bake the pies for 18-20 minutes, until a light golden brown.
4th of July Star Pies – Filling Recipe
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries
- ¼ cup Apple & Eve 100% Apple Juice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup honey
- ⅛ tsp salt (a large pinch)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Place the berries and juice in a saucepan.
- Separately, whisk the honey and cornstarch together and then pour over the berries.
- Add the salt and lemon juice, and stir to combine.
- Heat the saucepan on medium-high heat. Continue to cook and stir until the liquid comes to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continuously stir until the mixture starts to thicken. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked berries to a bowl and let them cool to about room temperature before adding to the pies.